Sunday, January 20, 2013

Richardson, Chapters 3 and 4

In Chapters 3 and 4, Richardson discussed blogs and wikis.  He described what they are, their potential uses, and how to create, set up, and maintain both.  As I am learning more about blogs and wikis, I am warming up to them more.  I think that it's really cool how students can connect what their learning in the classroom, with that they're doing outside of the classroom walls.  The "connected-ness" is cool.  And yet, I find it a bit scary.  I suppose that the same philosophy rings true for social media, and, for my intents and purposes, I'll talk about Facebook, which is my social media of choice.  I like how I can keep up with how/what my friends and family are up to, especially if they are far away.  Sometimes, though, the idea that they are doing the same thing to me freaks me out a bit!  I love how Richardson recognizes that people (teachers) may have those reservations and fears, and he does well will easing them.  I definitely think that this type of technology (blogs and wikis) can, and will, take place in my classroom!  Reading Richardson, and seeing great examples (such as Portland, Oregon's Meriwether Lewis Elementary's blog), has inspired me to learn more, and think about ways that I can incorporate them into my classroom!

2 comments:

  1. I also find the examples in the Richardson book helpful. In chapter 5, I found a good way (using Google Reader) to help my students get information for their research projects. It is a great way to organize research information and keep them safe I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that! The more I read the chapter, the more excited I got about Reader. It seems really cool, and is something that I would like to continue using. I had visited some blogs that I had found through Pinterest, but I never really went back (even though I added it to my Favorites!). I can absolutely see how much this would help students research. I also think that Diigo accomplishes that as well. It's neat how you can highlight and put sticky notes on the "page." Have you experimented with it much?

    ReplyDelete