Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Richardson, Chapters 1 & 2

Will Richardson's Bogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms is a very interesting book.  I think that these bringing these new methods into the classroom will be exciting for teachers and students.  This is a challenging time in education.  So many changes have happened, and will happen, especially when it comes to the use of technology.  On page 8, Richardson wrote something that really surprised me, and stuck with me.  "William D. Winn, director of the Learning Center at the University of Washington, belives that years of computer use results in children who 'think differently from us.  They develop hypertext minds.  They leap around.  It's as though their cognitive structures were parallel, not sequential.'"  This stuck with me so much because while I value and see the power of technology in my students' futures, I think that everything technology is "fine and dandy."  I think that it has the ability to cause many problems.  I think that my students, and even my peers, are too connected.  I do not think that everybody has to be constantly connected to an electronic device.  I think that some time away is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment