Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Diigo v. Pinterest

Here is my Diigo library!  I am really excited, and proud, of it thus far.  I felt much the same way that most of you felt about Diigo, before and after.  Before, I thought that Diigo was a Pinterest rip-off.  I LOVE Pinterest, and I didn't think that there was any possible way for me to even like Diigo, nevermind continually use it.  However, as I explored the tool, I saw the value of it, and I even found Pinterest's flaws (!).  One of the most important places for me to access Pinterest is at school, and, unfortuantely, it is now blocked.  Even when it wasn't blocked, I couldn't access many of the pins because they were from blogs, which are blocked.  With Diigo, I always have access to my library and my bookmarks!  Another Pinterest flaw is that trying to find a pin may be difficult because your pins are piled onto a board.  With Diigo, while the library is a list of bookmarks, each bookmark has tagged keywords.  When I need something, I can search through the keywords.  In the end, I have come to love, and value Diigo just as much as Pinterest!  Happy Bookmarking!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Bryan,

    As you know, I use both Diigo and Pinterest. It is the use of "tags" that makes Diigo my go-to-tool for finding a information that I bookmarked. My Pinterest boards can get cluttered, and it is hard to search in Pinterest quickly for a reference that I have bookmarked. I like the visual appeal of Pinterest, but like Diigo far better for archiving and finding resources at my fingertips.

    Although we won't have time in EDUC 584, in a 8-week course, to explore Evernote, it is a wonderful tool for not only bookmarking, but also for taking notes and keeping notes and information in folders. Evernote will be a wonderful resource for the Educational Research, EDUC 515, course. Some teachers use Evernote to document student work because you can easily with an i-Pad take a quick photo of a student's work and then archive it in an appropriate folder in Evernote. Thus, Evernote serves as an e-portfolio. Also, helpful for parent-teacher conferences to show a parent how "Student A" has progressed over time.

    Well, there is just so much tech territory we can cover in an 8-week course, but we are all expanding our knowledge of literacies using appropriate tools available to us.

    Thanks for your post.

    Respectfully,

    Judy Arzt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you about Diigo and Pinterest, and I am very glad that we used and explored Diigo this semester. Evernote sounds intruiging, and I will have to explore it! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way Bryan! I felt like I was sneaking behind Pinterest's back by using Diigo! I still am addicted to Pinterest, but find Diigo to be better organized and easier to locate information. I need to check out Evernote that Judy mentioned. That sound like a way to make classroom organization easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we have the exact same feelings about Diigo and Pinterest!!! Evernote does sound very interesting, and from Judy's overview of it, I can already think of ways, and students, to use it for!

      Delete
  3. I love using both Diigo and Pinterest. You presented good points about both. I have to agree with you about Pinterest, that it was difficult to access at school. It is good to have two avenues to reach resources quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for contrasting the differences between Diigo and Pinterest and providing some guidance as to what might be the more appropriate tool for our purposes. This is a very good review of the strengths/weaknesses of each.

    ReplyDelete