Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Animoto: Writing for Many Purposes

This week, I began my new writing unit!  I introduced the unit by discussing what Writing for Many Purposes is with the students.  We then talked about why, and what, people write.  We brainstormed a list of the kinds of things that people write.  As the students thought of things, I looked up the pictures.  The students chose the picture that they thought best showed the kind of writing that they brainstormed.  The students were very engaged in the making of the video, and they could hardly contain their excitement!  They were personally invested in the Animoto, and therefore, they were encouraged to put "their all" into the making of the video.  I feel that my students have a clear understanding of what kinds of things they will be writing because of their personal investment in the intro of the unit.  I'm hoping to make a Voicethread, or maybe a Digital Storybook (a la The Jolly Postman) as the final project for the unit.  (Students will write one of each type of writing, that will revolve around a story that a group of students come up with.) 

2 comments:

  1. Letting the kids pick out the pictures and help with the animoto was a great idea to get them invested! They love being included in projects like this and learn so much more when they are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan I love your animoto!! I think you did a great job on this and I love that you had the kids help you make the animoto. This way they have more of a connection to the project.

    ReplyDelete